It is our responsibility to take care of our soul daily. Our soul is our mind, will and emotions. We must protect what we see, hear, and is spoken. It all affects how we respond in our lives. The soul is an integrated system so one area affects the other. Give yourself Grace as you learn, grow and heal in your soul.
Let’s break down each part of the Soul.
1) Our Mind is where our thoughts are. How you think is the driving force of your life. Changing your thinking is the first step in protecting your soul and changing your life. Romans 12:2 is the remedy to deal with a negative thought Life.
Romans 12:2 (The Passion Translation)
Stop imitating the ideals and opinions of the culture around you, but be inwardly transformed by the Holy Spirit through a total reformation of how you think. This will empower you to discern God’s will as you live a beautiful life, satisfying and perfect in his eyes.
You must participate and be proactive in changing your thoughts by putting in new positive information. Meditating on the word of God renews our mind and heals our soul as we apply the word in every area of our life.
2) Our Will is where we make decisions that are the guiding force of our lives. Every decision we make good, bad, ugly or indifferent will have a positive or negative outcome and consequence with it. Each decision you make don’t just affect you. It also affect those closest to you.
Haggai 1:5-7 The Voice Translation speaks about choosing wisely when making decisions/choices:
5 Think very carefully about your choices.
6 You have planted a large crop, but your harvest is small. You have food to eat, but it is never enough to satisfy. You have something to drink, but you are never filled. You have clothes to wear, but they are not enough to keep you warm. You earn a salary, but the money runs out quickly, as if there are holes in your pocket.
7 Think very carefully about your choices.
3) Our Emotions are the place of feeling. In protecting your soul you have to guard your heart the seat of your emotions. Emotions give expression to our life but if you don’t control them you can find yourself in problems. Controlling your emotions is a sign of maturity. Out of control emotions can affect your wellbeing. When you feel overwhelmed emotionally take a deep breath, walk away from the situation so you can reel in your emotions.
Proverbs 4:23 is a crucial life scripture when it comes to protecting our soul. The Passion Translation say:
23 So above all, guard the affections of your heart, for they affect all that you are. Pay attention to the welfare of your innermost being, for from there flows the wellspring of life. Let’s define the word guard for clarity, according to the
Oxford English Dictionary Guard means:
1. watch over in order to protect or control.
2. protect against damage or harm.
Now that you know the functions of your soul you are better equipped to protect it and heal in the broken areas of your soul.
Food for the body is not enough. There must be food for the soul.